Akshay Kumar’s Singh Is Bling releases in theatres tomorrow and like every other week, it’s time for our IndicineFBO first day box office prediction and also a more detailed prediction for the first film in the last quarter of 2015.
Factors in favour of Singh Is Bling
- It’s as good as a solo release for Singh Is Bling on Gandhi Jayanti holiday as the other release is Irrfan Khan’s Talvar, which is a word-of-mouth film. More often than not, a big holiday advantage is around 30-35%.
- Officially, Singh Is Bling is not a sequel to Akshay’s 2008 film ‘Singh Is King’ which took a record opening at the box office. But the recall value is likely to positively impact the opening day collections of Singh Is Bling.
- Akshay is a huge star in North India and Singh Is Bling holds tremendous appeal in circuits where he commands a strong following.
Factors that could work against Singh Is Bling
- It’ll be Akshay’s 4th release this year. None of his films have been runaway hits at the box office and his last release, Brothers, was received very poorly. Singh Is Bling arrives less than 50 days after the Brothers debacle, which could affect the business of his latest release.
- For some unknown reason, the comedy genre hasn’t been performing too well in the last few years. On-screen madness worked a few years ago, but not anymore. Having said that, there hasn’t been a good comedy film in years now and if Singh Is Bling is a well made film, it should find its audience. Also, when it comes to comic timing and onscreen buffoonery, it simply cannot get better than Akshay Kumar.
- Prabhu Deva last directed Action Jackson, which was rejected by the audience when it released last year.
Like most of his films, Akshay will be fighting a lone battle once again at the box office. The music album hasn’t quite gained the popularity that it was expected to (atleast there are no chartbusters like Teri Ore or Jee Karda from Singh Is King) and the lead heroine isn’t too popular either. Akshay is the lone crowd puller.
Moving on, Gandhi Jayanti in the last couple of years has been good for the industry. The year-on-year growth in business has been huge. While Singh Is Bling is unlikely to continue the upward trend, it remains to be seen if it can match or beat the business of Besharam in 2013.
|Year of Release||Film||Screen Count||Net Opening(Gandhi Jayanti)|
|2014||Bang Bang||3250||27.5 cr|
|Singh Is Bling||18.6||–||6||2 Oct|
|Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2||4.4||–||3||16 Oct|
|Prem Ratan Dhan Payo||41.5||–||9||11 Nov|
|Bajirao Mastani||9.1*||–||5||18 Dec|
Old movies that have already released
|Tevar||6.5||7.05 cr||+ 8%||9 Jan|
|Alone||4||3.50 cr||– 12%||16 Jan|
|Hawaizaada||1.25||0.6 cr||– 52%||30 Jan|
|Khamoshiyan||1.75||1.92 cr||+ 9%||30 Jan|
|Baby||8.5||9.30 cr||+ 9%||23 Jan|
|Dolly Ki Doli||1.6||1.75 cr||+ 9%||23 Jan|
|Shamitabh||4.0||3.5 cr||– 12%||6 Feb|
|Roy||8.5||10.4||+ 22%||13 Feb|
|Badlapur||6.5||7 cr||+ 7%||20 Feb|
|Dum Laga Ke Haisha||1.25||1.1||– 12%||27 Feb|
|Ab Tak Chhappan 2||1.1||1.25||+ 13%||27 Feb|
|NH10||2.75||3.35||+ 22%||13 Mar|
|Detective Byomkesh Bakshy||4.5||4.25||– 5%||03 Apr|
|Ek Paheli Leela||5.25||5.30||+ 1%||10 Apr|
|Mr X||4.2||4.5||+ 7%||17 Apr|
|Margarita With A Straw||0.2||0.23||+ 1%||17 Apr|
|Gabbar Is Back||13||13.05||0%||01 May|
|Piku||5.5||5.32||– 3%||08 May|
|Bombay Velvet||9.5||5.2||– 45%||15 May|
|Tanu Weds Manu Returns||7.05||8.85||+ 25%||22 May|
|Welcome To Karachi||1.5||1.5||0%||21 May|
|Dil Dhadakne Do||9.5||10.53||+ 11%||06 Jun|
|Hamari Adhuri Kahani||5.75||5.04||– 12%||12 Jun|
|ABCD 2||12.5||14.3||+ 14%||19 Jun|
|Bajrangi Bhaijaan||30.4||27.25||– 10%||17 Jul|
|Drishyam||5.25||5.3||+ 1%||31 Jul|
|Bangistan||2.5||1.1||– 56%||31 Jul|
|Brothers||15.5||15.2||– 2%||14 Aug|
|All Is Well||3.1||2.9||– 6%||21 Aug|
|Welcome Back||11.5||14.35||+ 24%||4 Sep|
|Hero||7.5||6.85||– 8%||11 Sep|
|Katti Batti||4.6||5.28||– 14%||18 Sep|
|Calendar Girls||1.5||1.5||0%||25 Sep|
|Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon||4.5||10.15||+ 125%||25 Sep|
Singh Is Bling Box Office Predictions
IF VERY GOOD (excellent word-of-mouth)
- Day 1 – 20 cr
- Day 2 – 15 cr
- Day 3 – 18 cr (Sunday)
- Weekend – 53 cr
- Week 1 – 85 cr
- Final – 120 crore plus
IF AVERAGE (mixed response)
- Day 1 – 19
- Day 2 – 14 cr
- Day 3 – 15 cr (Sunday)
- Weekend – 50 cr
- Week 1 – 75 cr
- Final – 100 crore
IF BAD (worst case scenario)
- Day 1 – 18 cr
- Day 2 – 12 cr
- Day 3 – 12 (Sunday)
- Weekend – 44 cr
- Week 1 – 65 cr
- Final – 80 crore